Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Communion is no time for mediation or adoration!

On yet another forum, a poster (who is Catholic) expressed her distaste in the choice of "Blessed Be Your Name" as the communion hymn, and how she should go about voicing her concerns to the pastor. When other posters started shooting her down she replied,

"I just thought that the song was not conducive to the meditative nature that should be cultivated during Communion...but I guess I am wrong."

To which another poster replied,

"You are, in fact, wrong. A meditative nature should not be cultivated during communion. Find a perpetual adoration chapel if you want to meditate on the Eucharist."

When another poster agreed with the one who made the above comment they replied,

"Notice a trend here? Those of us who work full time in administering the liturgy seem to agree that communion is not a time for adoration. Maybe we know something you don't!"

(. . .said the Spirit of Vatican II.)

When asked for evidence that after communon is no time for meditating this was provided from Music in Catholic Worship from the USCCB website:

"62. The communion song should foster a sense of unity. It should be simple and not demand great effort. It gives expression to the joy of unity in the body of Christ and the fulfillment of the mystery being celebrated. Because they emphasize adoration rather than communion, most benediction hymns are not suitable."

Call me a schismatic SSPX'er, but I have a huge problem with that.

When doesn't God deserve adoration? Are we supposed to just turn our adoration switches off during communion because it's "People Time"? We have just recieved the Body, Blood soul and divinit of Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity, which is GOD into ourselves and this is somehow not the time to meditate on it, or give God worship for that we have recieved Him into ourselves?

I understand that even St. Ignatius of Antioch stessed the importance of being one and celebrating one Eucharist in union with the bishop. But even he understood that communion is God first, people second, not vise versa.

This is from a document written by the Committee on the Liturgy in the USCCB. Who's the head of that committee?

Trautman.

I'll conclude with my favorite prayer after communion from the 1962 missal:

Behold, I am in the possession of the Sovereign Good. The first thought, O God, with which Thy presence inspires me, is a sentiment of adoration and respect. Yes, under these sacred veils, where Thy love for me hath concealed the splendor of Thy Majesty, I most humbly adore Thee. I acknowledge Thee as my Master, my Creator, and the Supreme Arbiter of my eternal destiny. But these thoughts are absorbed in the greatness of my confidence. Thou art glorious in heaven, all-powerfull on earth and terrible in hell; But in the Blessed Eucharist Thou art mild, consoling, sweet, and liberal. Ah, what canst Thou refuse me, when Thou hast given me Thyself?

I assume this prayer's no good since it's about God and worship and not about people?

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=186204

5 comments:

Larry said...

At communion I have just received my crucified Lord and the creator of heaven and earth into my soul. The last thing I want is the distraction of a sing-a-long.

paramedicgirl said...

I read that thread the other night. I'm in favour of silence during Communion, so that we can adore meditate and pray to God to give Him thanks for the gift of receiving Him. Neo-Caths wouldn't agree with me though.

Unitas said...

I just can't believe that that document is just about saying communon is about people, not God. Can it be any more blatant? They're not even trying to hide it!

paramedicgirl said...

Unitas, do you ever get visited by CAF administrators? They show up as "Cardiff by the Sea" on your site meter. I had one today.

Anyway about those pagans (oops, I mean Neo Caths)yeah, it's pretty sad that they don't grasp the real meaning of Catholicism. Their theology is peppered with a liberal dose of Protestantism.

Unitas said...

If I had a sitemeter I'd probably know about it, haha!

They probably stopped by becuase I linked their site in my post.

I really dislike going against an entire committee of the USCCB but in my opinion, they're wrong here. And the people who use this excerpt to support their liberal agenda in the liturgy are just as wrong.

If someone can come up with a well-reasoned counter argument that rebuts my stance then I'll submit. Until then, I hold this part of this document as contrary to the focus of the liturgy.