Monday, February 9, 2009

Wow, I thought it was a CATHOLIC health provider...

My wife and I are enrolled in AHCCCS health care. Basically state-healthcare. Trust me, if I could afford a policy I'd jump at it. I'd rather have a mammogram than to deal with the Department of Economic Security every six months. And yes, I pay my taxes. Keep in mind that we just had our third daughter in August.

This is from the "About Us" page on the mercy care website:

Southwest Catholic Health Network (SCHN) was established in 1985 as a not-for-profit managed care corporation sponsored by Catholic Healthcare West and Carondelet Health Network. SCHN, doing business as Mercy Care Plan, has managed health care for people in Arizona for more than 20 years, including those with special needs.

That said, we got a letter in the mail from Mercy Care, the allegedly Catholic plan available through AHCCCS. This notice reads as follows:

Dear Mercy Care Plan Member:

As a member of Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), you may get family planning services at no cost to you. Talk to your doctor to find out what services are best for you. A list of services is attached.

The attachment reads:

Unprotected Sex is Dangerous!

Did you know that birth control is provided to AHCCCS member at no cost?

- If you are having sex, using birth control may keep you from getting pregnant.

- Using condoms and spermicidal foams, jellies or creams may help prevent some diseases that you can get by having sex.

- Get tested for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).


It also lists:

AHCCCS also provides the following family planning services:

-Natural Family Planning

- Birth control pills

- The morning after pill

- Depo-Provera

-IUDs

- Cervical rings

- Spermicidal foams, jellies and creams

- Diaphrams

- Sterilization

- Testing for sexually transmitted diseases


I guess this 'Catholic' organization really wants us having more children don't they? Mortal sin be damned.

No comments: